We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK Civil Aviation Regulations

These are published by the CAA on our UK Regulations pages. EU Regulations and EASA Access Guides published by EASA no longer apply in the UK. Our website and publications are being reviewed to update all references. Any references to EU law and EASA Access guides should be disregarded and where applicable the equivalent UK versions referred to instead.

If you fly a drone or model aircraft for recreation, sport, or as a hobby, you can choose whether or not to have insurance.

If you fly for any other reason, you must have third party insurance.

For example, you must have insurance if you:

  • get paid to take pictures or record video
  • get paid to carry out surveys
  • provide delivery services
  • use your drone for work, such as on a farm, park, or estate
  • use a drone in an educational setting, such as a school, college, or university

Although insurance is optional if you only fly for recreation, sport, or as a hobby, remember you’re responsible for your actions. You could be held liable for any injury or damage you cause, so you may want to consider getting third party insurance.

UAS Operators are responsible for ensuring they have appropriate insurance. This is a condition of every Operational Authorisation issued by the CAA.

There's more information in Unmanned Aircraft System Operations in UK Airspace – Policy and Guidance CAP722.

Regulatory requirements are in Assimilated Regulation (EU) 785/2004.

UK legislation that details insurance requirements is set out in Civil Aviation (Insurance) Regulations 2005.