The Known Consignor Scheme is voluntary. There is no legal requirement for any air cargo to be dispatched from the shipper as SPX (Secure) cargo; insecure cargo may still be shipped, although it will be subject to additional security measures before it can be allowed to fly.
On approval, Known Consignors are permitted (provided they comply with the requirements outlined in the regulations) to ship cargo from source. Such cargo may be transported by air without the need for any further security measures being applied.
Details of approved cargo trainers (to be used to verify the status of a cargo trainer)
A guide to applications for Known Consignors is available from the CAA by using the contact details below.
HR presence at the site inspection to facilitate access to staff recruitment records
How much does it cost?
- £219 payable on application
- Validation fee of £682
- Both payable to CAA in advance of the assessment
How long will it take for my application to be processed?
Application forms must be received by the Cargo and In-flight Supplies Business Support Unit at least six weeks before a current certificate expires.
Forms are acknowledged on receipt and processed within four weeks.
How long is it valid for?
Twelve calendar months from current expiry or from date of approval for new certificate holders.
What else do I need to know?
What do I need to include with my application?
- A completed application form
- A site address that corresponds to the address required for the Consignment Security Certificate (CSC)
How do I apply?
Apply for Known Consignor Status (online application form)
What happens next?
- The Known Consignor site will be subject to an assessment carried out by a CAA Aviation Security Compliance Auditor
- The Cargo Support Team will allocate an Auditor and contact you with the details
- Following a successful validation of the site, you will be issued with a UAI number for Known Consignor Status
- For existing certificate holders, the assessment will usually take place within four weeks of the expiry date
For questions about the application process for becoming a Known Consignor, please contact:
Cargo and In-flight Supplies Business Support Unit
Aviation Security Compliance
Civil Aviation Authority
CAA, 5th Floor
11 Westferry Circus
Canarf Wharf, London, E14 4HD
Telephone: 0207 453 5825
Provide page feedback
Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority
- Continued focus on change for GA Team
- Virtual aviation work experience partnership with Springpod
- Helicopter pilot sentenced for forging licence