Phraseology for Standard Instrument Departure (SID) and Standard Arrival (STAR) procedures has, over time, diverged from that originally published in Doc 4444 PANS-ATM and Doc 9432 Manual of Radiotelephony, and this has the potential to confuse air traffic controllers and pilots alike, introducing safety risks.
ICAO continually seeks to improve worldwide aviation standards, so in order to resolve this issue, they have published Amendment 7 to PANS ATM. This introduces changes to SID and STAR procedures, primarily through the use of new phraseology. The amendment anticipates a worldwide implementation of 12 months from 10 November 2016. However, the UK's implementation is not expected to be completed before late 2017. This has been notified in UK AIP GEN 1.7 as at AIRAC 12/2016 (effective 10 November 2016).
During this period, pilots should expect to encounter the revised phraseology as it is progressively introduced elsewhere in the world, and will be expected to understand and react correctly to its use. Controllers also need to be aware of the potential for visiting foreign aircraft operators and their pilots to expect this phraseology as they may have been exposed to its use elsewhere and may not be aware of the UK's implementation plans.
- ICAO is producing generic SID/STAR phraseology awareness information, which includes these amendments
- A link to ICAO's material can also be found on the IATA website
- We have also published awareness material IN-2016/098
- SKYbrary hosts information on SIDs and STARs from Eurocontrol
- IFALPA have published safety bulletins 16SAB06 and 16SAB11 on SID/STAR phraseology changes
- The Isle of Man Aircraft Registry's Safety Matters includes information on SID/STAR procedures
Details of implementation activity within Europe can be found at:
- Germany: German Air Transport Bulletin 1-869-16 "Voice Communication phraseologies" (page 57) and German Air Transport Bulletin 1-916-16 "Voice Communication phraseologies" (page 57)
Details of implementation activity within North America can be found at:
- Canada: Pilots flying in Canadian airspace can find details of Nav Canada's implementation of the new phraseology.
- USA: Information concerning use of the new phraseology in the USA can be found in the FAA's Aeronautical Information Manual: 'Climb via' pages 320/321/322 and 'Descend via' pages 337/338.
Details of implementation activity within the Middle East can be found at:
- United Arab Emirates: Pilots operating to and from the United Arab Emirates can find details of UAE implementation in GCAA SAFETY ALERT 13/2016 AMENDMENT NO. 7 TO THE PANS-ATM DOC 4444 - SID/STAR PROCEDURES.
Details of implementation activity within Asia can be found at:
- Japan: Japan AIP ENR 1.5 pages ENR 1.5-16 to 21
- Singapore: AIP Supplement 028/2017 - CHANGES TO STANDARD INSTRUMENT DEPARTURE AND STANDARD INSTRUMENT ARRIVAL PHRASEOLOGIES
- Thailand: AIP Supplement A24/16 - Deferred Implementation of ICAO's Amendment 7A to the 15th Edition of Procedure for Air
- Australia: CASA website