We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional analytics cookies to help us improve it.
For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK – EU Transition, and UK Civil Aviation Regulations

To access current UK civil aviation regulations, including AMC and GM, CAA regulatory documents, please use this link to UK Regulation. Please note, if you use information and guidance under the Headings, the references to EU regulations or EU websites in our guidance will not be an accurate information or description of your obligations under UK law. These pages are undergoing reviews and updates.

Application Requirements

To become a CAA Authorised ROCC Examiner you need to have:

  • held a Radio Operator’s Certificate of Competence (Air Ground or Offshore) for at least 3 years
  • been operational at either an Air Ground Unit or an Off Shore Unit for the preceding 2 years
    (This is required to enable Examiners to draw on relevant experience to create the scenarios for the practical element of the examination)
  • The requirements to have held a ROCC for 3 years and to have been operational at a Unit for the preceding 2 years, maybe reduced at the discretion of the CAA.

If you hold an Air Traffic Control Officers (ATCO) or a Flight Information Service Officers (FISO) licence, you may be considered for authorisation as an AGCS ROCC Examiner, (with a reduction to the operational requirement period), provided current Unit Endorsements and Validations, as appropriate, are held. This is considered on a case by case basis and dependant on the number of current operational examiners and location.

If you’re an ATCO or FISO who does not hold an ROCC, you will need to obtain one before being considered for authorisation. Application for an ROCC is made to the CAA on form SRG 1413.

There is no CAA application form for applying to become a CAA Authorised ROCC Examiner.

What to include

You need to include:

  • a letter confirming operational experience over the previous 2 years, is required from the airport manager/operator.
  • a short CV highlighting relevant experience
  • two references and their ROCC certificate number
  • ATCOs and FISOs should include their licence number

How to apply

You need to send your application via email to the CAA Licensing Referrals Officer at ATS.Enquiries@caa.co.uk.

Application to become a CAA Authorised ROCC Examiner for a ‘Parachute ROCC’ is devolved to the British Parachute Association (BPA) and application should be made direct to the BPA.

Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority

  1. Shaping up to be a busy 2022 for UK CAA’s General Aviation Unit
  2. CAA launches consultation on environmental effects of first UK space launch from Cornwall
  3. Farnborough 2022: Sir Stephen Hillier - Where next for aviation and aerospace

View all latest news