We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

All non-UK air carriers that wish to undertake commercial services to, from or within the United Kingdom are required to hold a Foreign Carrier Permit before that flight is undertaken.

United Kingdom’s Departure from the European Union

The UK Government has agreed a Future Trade Agreement which comes into effect on 31 December 2020. After this date, all non-UK carriers, including EEA and EFTA operators, will require a Foreign Carrier Permit before operating any commercial flight to, from or within UK territory.

Types of permit

The type of permit required is dependent on the nature of operations that are requested can be categorised into:

  • An Ad-Hoc Permit for carrier operating for short-term, or one-off non-scheduled (charter) services
  • A Scheduled or Series Charter Permit is required for regular scheduled or series charter services.

To apply for either permit, you will need to fill in an application form and be able to provide information required and ready access to several other documents upon request listed below

Ad Hoc Permits

To apply for an Ad Hoc Permit, use form CPG3200

Before applying ensure that dates and times of flights are known and that the information required or required upon request are understood

To amend an existing foreign registered aircraft permit, use form CPG3200A.

To make payment please, use Payment authorisation form.

Scheduled or Series Charter Permits

To apply for a Scheduled or Series Charter Permits, use form CPG3201

Before applying ensure that routes and number of services per week are known and that the information required or required upon request are understood

To make payment please, use Payment authorisation form.

Information Required

  • Aircraft details;
  • Certificate of Liability Insurance for passenger, third party and war risks for aircraft to be used. The level of insurance must meet the minimum requirements of insurance for passenger and third-party liability set out in Regulation (EC) 785/2004
  • Which Advanced Passenger Information System you will use to inform the UK Border Force of passenger, cabin and flight crew information. More information on Advanced Passenger Information systems can be found in the visas and immigration section of the UK Government’s website.
  • The CAA will however, require all the above documents in regard to any foreign registered aircraft leased from another carrier, either with or without crew, which the applicant carrier proposes to use on services to the UK.

Information on Request

The CAA may also require the following information on request (and reserves the right to require such information at any stage)

  • Certificate of competency and/or Air Operators Certificate and /or an Operating Licence issued by the aeronautical authority of the State of Operator.
  • Certificate of Incorporation or Business Registration
  • Certificates of Airworthiness and Registration issued by the aeronautical authority of the State of Registry for all aircraft to be used on services to the UK.
  • Confirmation that no dangerous goods or munitions of war will be carried. For a Dangerous Goods (DG) exemption, evidence of exemption / approval from State of origin or UK CAA is required, the appropriate completed form should be attached.

Traffic rights

The setting of policy and negotiation of traffic rights is undertaken by the Department for Transport. Before granting an operating permit for scheduled flights, the CAA ensures that the services are undertaken in accordance with the traffic rights and conditions provided under the air service arrangements the UK has negotiated with the state where the airline is registered.

In the case of non-scheduled (charter) flights the UK seeks reciprocity to ensure that UK airlines are allowed similar opportunities from foreign authorities.

Security direction

If you are operating an aircraft with a maximum take-off weight of 10,000kg or more, you must also have a security direction served on you. For further information, please contact AviationSecurityEnquiries@caa.co.uk