Consumer protection legislation
There are various laws that are designed to protect consumers and which apply to businesses who make available air travel. Some of these can be accessed here:
- The Civil Aviation (Air Travel Organisers’ Licensing) Regulations 2012, as amended
- The Civil Aviation (Contributions to the Air Travel Trust) Regulations 2007
- The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008
- The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018
Official Record Series 3
The ORS 3 includes information that is required to be published by the ATOL and ATT Regulations, including: the format of the ATOL Certificate, the required wording for Agency Agreements, the ATOL and Accredited Body Standard Terms and Exemptions from the need to ATOL and ATT Regulations.
Our ATOL Policy and Regulations documents provide information on different aspects of the ATOL scheme, including our criteria for assessing Fitness and Finances.
ATOL Compliance and Consumer enforcement
The main purpose of the CAA’s enforcement role is to protect consumers and the public by encouraging compliance with rules applicable to civil aviation and to deter non-compliance. In most cases we take an educational and advisory role, but on occasions we will have to act, which may include prosecuting a business or individual.
More on our approach towards the enforcement of the ATOL Regulations can be found here.
More on our enforcement of consumer law can be found here.
More on our role in enforcement and prosecutions can be found here.
Provide page feedback
Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority
- UK Civil Aviation Authority confirms level of cap on future charges of Heathrow Airport Limited in the best interest of consumers
- UK Civil Aviation Authority announces members of its new Environmental Sustainability Panel
- UK Civil Aviation Authority announces landmark changes for pilots and air traffic controllers living with HIV