We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional cookies to understand how you use it, and to help us improve it.

For more information, please read our cookie policy.

All non-UK air carriers, including EU, EEA and EFTA operators, that wish to undertake commercial services to, from or within the United Kingdom are required to hold a Foreign Carrier Permit before that flight is undertaken.

When a permit is not required

Certain flights using non-UK registered aircraft do not require any additional approval namely:

  • Private flights (for example with the aircraft owner onboard) – Note the flight plan for such flights cannot be filed as “N” as that denotes a charter flight.
  • Positioning flights, ferry flights or, delivery flights.
  • A flight for the purposes of undertaking repairs, alterations, maintenance, or salvage. (provided the aircraft concerned is ICAO airworthiness compliant certain.
  • Test flights.
  • Overflights of the UK (provided the aircraft concerned are ICAO airworthiness compliant).
  • State flights. 

State (Diplomatic) or Military Flights

The following flights should hold a Foreign and Commonwealth Office or Ministry of Defence Flight Clearance and not a Foreign Carrier Permit:

  • State Flights undertaken on behalf of a foreign Government (for example flights carrying Heads of State/Government Ministers).

  • Flights by foreign military-registered aircraft.

Diplomatic Flight Clearance, Ministry of Defence

E-mail: SPOCTandUK-DipFlightClearance@mod.gov.uk

Telephone:00 44 (0) 300 156 3962

(Out of office hours ONLY):

E-mail: DCMC-DCDSDO-Office@mod.gov.uk

Telephone: +44 (0) 306 788 8938

Isle of Man

We also administer Foreign Carrier Permits for services to and from the Isle of Man jointly with the Isle of Man Civil Aviation Administration. If your flight includes an Isle of Man element then please contact us.

Channel Islands and UK Overseas Territories

If you require approval to operate to the Channel Islands or a UK Overseas Territory you should contact the Channel Islands Office of Civil Aviation or the Government of the Overseas Territory concerned directly.

Foreign Carrier Permits Contact and Opening Hours

Before applying for a Foreign Carrier Permit we recommend you familiarise yourself with the relevant content on the website as the information provided may answer your queries.


Email: foreigncarrierpermits@caa.co.uk
Fax: 00 44 (0) 207 453 6322
Telephone: 00 44 (0) 33 013 83484 (office hours only)

Opening Hours

The Foreign Registered Aircraft Permits Department is staffed weekdays between 09:00 and 17:00 Local (excluding public holidays).


Outside of office hours we will only consider applications for urgent permission in emergency situations, for example air ambulance or humanitarian flights.

Applications that need to be submitted outside of office hours should be made to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Duty Office who can be contacted on 00 44 (0) 330 022 1500.


An administration fee of £96 is payable in respect of each permit application made.

How we use your information

The CAA’s Consumers and Markets Group collects and stores your name, date of birth, address, email, telephone number and Nationality (not routinely) for the purpose of processing the application for a Foreign Registered Aircraft Permit.

We may also share such information on an ad-hoc basis with Department for Transport and UK Border Forces for Aviation Security purposes as part of the National Aviation Security Plan.

Close Foreign Carrier Permits Contact and Opening Hours