• If your aircraft has a Permit to Fly issued by the Light Aircraft Association (LAA) follow the steps on this page. For all other aircraft see Changes in UK registration marks.

    In addition to the CAA requirements, the LAA also have specific requirements when a registration mark changes, please see LAA TL 2.24 for further details and the fees applicable.

    A UK registered aircraft can be issued with one in-sequence registration mark or any number of out-of-sequence registrations.

    In order to change the registration of an aircraft from one to another the following procedure should be carried out:

  • For information on the choice and availability of UK registration marks please see Availability and Reservation of UK Registration Marks.  For guidance on the display of registration marks please see Display of Nationality and Registration Marks

    Complete a  CA1 Application form  and return it to  Aircraft Registration.The  CA1 Application form  can be completed online, however, as the form needs to be signed by the applicant it cannot be submitted online and must therefore be printed.  Once printed and signed the form can be scanned and emailed or faxed to the  Aircraft Registration Section.  As long as either credit or debit card details are included on the form there is no need to send a hard copy version of the form as well. Evidence of insurance, or a declaration that the aircraft will not fly until evidence of insurance has been supplied to the CAA, must also be supplied with your application to register.  Details of  the requirements are included on the CA1 Application form.  For further information please see Mandatory Insurance Requirements

    If your aircraft has a noise certificate this must be returned with your application. The noise certificate issued to reflect the new UK registration mark will contain the same noise values as the previous certificate. Should you require a new noise certificate due to a change of data you will need to complete one of the following applications and return this to Applications & Approvals with the appropriate fee in accordance with the CAA Scheme of Charges:  Noise Certificate online form.  See Noise Certificates for further details. 

    See forms and fees. If the  Same Day service is selected an additional fee is payable. 

    • Permit to Fly Certificate
    • Operating Limitations Certificate
    • Certificate of Validity - Permit to Fly (if currently in-permit)

    to the Light Aircraft Association at:

    Turweston Aerodrome 
    Nr Brackley 
    NN13 5YD 

  • Please note these documents should be returned whilst the aircraft is grounded and being changed to the new registration marks. Once Aircraft Registration has changed the registration this effectively invalidates the Permit to Fly until re-issued by the LAA. Therefore the aircraft must not be flown until the Permit to Fly documentation has been issued by the LAA.

    If we are unable to carry out the requested change of registration marks after receipt of the above documents then we shall contact you in accordance with our Service Standards. If the transaction is urgent a same day service is available for the registration process, this is based on the receipt of all the required information and payment of an additional fee. A separate 'same day' fee may be payable for the issue of the C of A / Permit to Fly.