Medical fitness is essential for safe operations. The Germanwings accident of 24 March 2015 demonstrated the catastrophic outcome that can result from a pilot flying when medically unfit.
Working with industry and fellow regulators, the CAA will ensure all recommendations and actions relating to the Germanwings accident in March 2015 are delivered wherever possible.
- Enhancing aviation safety by reducing the risk of pilots and other aviation licence holders being impaired or incapacitated.
- Improving Medical Assessor and Aeromedical Examiner competence by facilitating training and capability.
- Creation and deployment of an e-Learning platform for Medical Assessors and Aeromedical Examiners to strengthen education and training in aviation medicine, including mental health assessment of aircrew. -Action Complete.
- Increase pilots’ awareness of and education about the risks associated with drugs and medication.
- Facilitate the creation of Pilot Support Programmes by AOC holders.