The UK Civil Aviation Authority has today (30 May 2022) published its new Environmental Sustainability Strategy.
Aviation delivers substantial benefits both regionally and internationally, however the sector is facing a challenge to mitigate emissions, noise and other adverse impacts. This new strategy provides clarity on the Civil Aviation Authority’s roles, remit and ambition, as we work together with the aviation community to improve environmental performance in the aviation and aerospace systems for the benefit of consumers, users and the wider community.
While we will continue to ensure safety, security and consumer protection in the aviation sector, this new strategy is ambitious in the way we will prioritise sustainability in our work, across the following areas:
- enabling development of Jet Zero technology;
- co-leading the modernisation of airspace;
- reporting on the sustainability performance of industry, including noise, and providing information to consumers on the environmental impact of aviation;
- advising and supporting the UK government on domestic and international policy;
- reducing the impact of our corporate activities and operations;
- assessing local environmental impacts in relevant regulatory activity and monitoring how industry is adapting to climate change;
- taking into account the environment in regulation and oversight.
In addition, our Environmental Sustainability Strategy also sets out how the organisation plans to address, reduce and mitigate the impact of its own cooperate operations.
For more information about both our Environmental Sustainability Strategy, please visit our website.