We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional analytics cookies to help us improve it.
For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK – EU Transition, and UK Civil Aviation Regulations

To access current UK civil aviation regulations, including AMC and GM, CAA regulatory documents, please use this link to UK Regulation. Please note, if you use information and guidance under the Headings, the references to EU regulations or EU websites in our guidance will not be an accurate information or description of your obligations under UK law. These pages are undergoing reviews and updates.

Different regulations apply to aerodromes based on their size and the type of flying that takes place there. Airfields that have commercial flights with fare paying passengers, or where there is flying training using large aircraft, need to have a safety licence from us.

Most airfields used for recreational GA have a choice of getting a CAA licence or being an unlicensed airfield. Most types of recreational aviation flying training can take place at an unlicensed airfield.

  • CAP 793 contains guidance for unlicensed aerodromes

If a recreational GA airfield does want to be licensed then this is normally overseen by our GA unit using a more proportionate system than our regulation of larger airports.

The licence covers all the physical aspects of the airfield that relate to airside safety, from the standard of the runways, to signs and emergency facilities.

If an airfield meets our requirements then it's granted a licence. It will then have inspections from us to make sure that the required standards of safety are being maintained

There are safety issues that apply to all airfields, regardless of their size these include:

Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority

  1. 2022 quarter two flight data
  2. Shaping up to be a busy 2022 for UK CAA’s General Aviation Unit
  3. CAA launches consultation on environmental effects of first UK space launch from Cornwall

View all latest news