We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional analytics cookies to help us improve it.
For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK-EU Transition

References to EU regulation or EU websites in our guidance will not be an accurate description of your obligations or rights under UK law.

Fireworks, lasers and sky lantern releases

As fireworks and laser shows can distract or endanger aircraft, we offer guidance for anyone planning a major firework, laser show or sky lantern release. If we know of a major event we can alert pilots and air traffic control in advance.

We are able to offer advice on any sort of event and strongly recommend that you contact us if you are planning a show near an airfield or where aircraft regularly fly.

Tell us about an upcoming event involving lasers, fireworks, toy balloons or sky lanterns

For information relating to guidance for upcoming shows and events please see CAP 736.

Air display applications

If you are planning a flying display that will be advertised and open to the public then you will need permission from us.

Guidance for display or event organisers

Tethered unmanned gas balloons

In the UK, permission is needed to fly tethered unmanned gas balloons that are:

  • at or above 60 metres
  • within an aerodrome traffic zone
  • within notified airspace

Apply for a permission to fly

Civil or military events featuring military aircraft

The CAA must be notified about any UK event that features military aircraft.

Contact the CAA and RAF events team

Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority

  1. Consumers urged to check for financial protection as holiday bookings set to rise
  2. UK Civil Aviation Authority set to create new Environmental Sustainability Panel
  3. Website changes

View all latest news