Working together, the Department for Transport and the CAA have developed a shared objective for modernising airspace. The objective is to deliver quicker, quieter and cleaner journeys and more capacity for the benefit of those who use and are affected by UK airspace. The parameters of the objective are:
- create sufficient airspace capacity to deliver safe and efficient growth of commercial aviation
- progressively reduce the noise of individual flights, through quieter operating procedures and, in situations where planning decisions have enabled growth which may adversely affect noise, require that noise impacts are considered through the airspace design process and clearly communicated
- use the minimum volume of controlled airspace consistent with safe and efficient air traffic operations
- in aiming for a shared and integrated airspace, facilitate safe and ready access to airspace for all legitimate classes of airspace users, including commercial traffic, General Aviation and the military, and new entrants such as drones and spacecraft
- not conflict with national security requirements (temporary or permanent) specified by the Secretary of State for Defence.