Regulation (EU) 139/2014 means that you need to notify us of all changes to aerodromes that have the potential to affect the agreed basis for certification, including:
These changes fall into two categories:
- Changes that need our approval before the change can take place
- Changes that don’t need approval but we still need to be notified about
- You need our approval for your procedure to manage notification of changes
Changes that need approval
You need approval for changes that 'significantly' affect elements of your management system, including your Safety Management System.1
We define these changes as 'significant' if they affect:
- the organisation chart
- safety culture2
Changes to the operation that might change the terms of the certificate include:
- changes to the permanent level of protection of rescure and firefighting
- changes to low visibility procedures
- changes to the declared distances
- changes to the aerodrome coding
- changes to the Higher Code Aircraft (as applicable).
Any changes that impact the CB need our approval, including:
- constructions affecting sightlines from VCR
- developments on the movement are (e.g. new aprons)
- developments which might impact on the movement area (e.g. new or extensions to terminals or piers)
Note: Significant maintenance projects can have a secondary effect on the Certification Basis. If you're not sure if a maintenance project needs prior approval, notify your Aerodrome Inspector who can advise you.
When you apply for CB changes you need to include supporting documentation. Full details are in CAP 791, including a process for notifying us.
You also need to apply for approval for the following:
- changes that make use of an Alternative Means of Compliance
- changes to procedure that describe how changes not requiring prior approval are managed.
If you are applying for us to review an Alternative Means of Compliance
If our review takes more than three hours, you need to pay an additional charge of £186 per hour for any excess hours.
If you are applying for changes that are classified as a Major Development
If our review takes more than six hours, you need to pay an additional charge of £181 per hour for any excess hours.
See our Scheme of Charges
Provide page feedback
Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.