• Aerial work is any paid work undertaken by an aircraft (other than public transport).

    Aerial advertising

    The Civil Aviation (Aerial Advertising) Regulations 1995 set out the circumstances under which aerial advertising may take place.  Guidance on the airspace notification/permission requirements for captive/tethered unmanned advertising balloons is detailed on the Balloons page.

    Aerial Work and Foreign Registered Aircraft

  • Aircraft not registered in the European Economic Area (EEA) may only be used in the UK for aerial survey or aerial photography (whether or not valuable consideration is received by the operator) if the operator holds a permit under Article 252 of the Air Navigation Order 2016.

    Guidance on the airspace notification requirements for aerial work is detailed on the Event and obstacle notification page.

  • Applying for a permit

    Applications should be submitted at least two working days before the first flight is due to be undertaken.

    How to apply

    Aerial Application Certificate (AAC)

    An AAC is required where the dropping of articles is to be made for the following purposes:

    • agriculture
    • horticulture and forestry

    CAP 414- "The Aerial Application Certificate" is a comprehensive source of information and provides guidance on all topics relating to your application.

    • CAA Form CA 2345, together with the appropriate fee, should be sent to the  General Aviation Unit. Details of costs can be found in the CAA Scheme of Charges - Aerial Application Certificates.
    • A copy of the aerial application manual must be included with the application. The minimum notice period for the issue of an AAC required by the CAA is 28 days from receipt of the aerial application manual.
    • A certificate is generally issued for a period of 12 months.