• Aerial work is any paid work undertaken by an aircraft (other than public transport).

    Aerial advertising

    The Civil Aviation (Aerial Advertising) Regulations 1995 set out the circumstances under which aerial advertising may take place.

    Aerial Work and Foreign Registered Aircraft

  • Aircraft not registered in the European Economic Area (EEA) may only be used in the UK for aerial survey or aerial photography (whether or not valuable consideration is received by the operator) if the operator holds a permit under Article 252 of the Air Navigation Order 2016.

    Aircraft not registered in the EEA may only be used for aerial work such as parachute dropping, crop spraying, banner towing, aerial display or flight training in the UK where the operator (or flying instructor) does not receive valuable consideration for his services or holds a permit under Article 252 of the Air Navigation Order 2016

  • Applying for a permit

    Applications should be submitted at least two working days before the first flight is due to be undertaken.

    How to apply

    Aerial Application Certificate (AAC)

    An AAC is required where the dropping of articles is to be made for the following purposes:

    • agriculture
    • horticulture and forestry

    CAP 414- "The Aerial Application Certificate" is a comprehensive source of information and provides guidance on all topics relating to your application.

    • A copy of the aerial application manual must be included with the application. The minimum notice period for the issue of an AAC required by the CAA is 28 days from receipt of the aerial application manual.
    • A certificate is generally issued for a period of 12 months.

    • Application should be made at least 28 days before the expiry date of the current certificate.
  • At present, Forms CA 2345 and CA 2346 are not available online. To obtain a copy, please contact the General Aviation Unit.