We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional analytics cookies to help us improve it.
For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK-EU Transition

References to EU regulation or EU websites in our guidance will not be an accurate description of your obligations or rights under UK law.

Every pilot, whether they fly professionally or for pleasure, needs a pilot’s licence.

Pilots are normally licensed by the country in which they live or fly from. They will have had to pass written and practical exams to ensure they have the necessary skills and will be subject to ongoing checks. To obtain and maintain their licence, they must pass medical examinations and be certificated. As the level of the licence gets higher the tests and checks become harder and the medical becomes more stringent.

Pilots can also add extra privileges and ratings to their licence. For example an airline pilot will have an instrument rating allowing them to fly in cloud and low visibility. They will also have ratings for the individual types of aircraft they fly. This means they have a very high level of knowledge of the individual aircraft, its controls and systems.

Most airline pilots will have worked their way through the various licences, starting with the private pilot’s licence. The flight tests to gain a licence are carried out with an independent examiner while day-to-day flight checks for an airline pilot are carried out by the airline.

Find out more about learning to fly and the different types of licences are available

Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority

  1. Consumers urged to check for financial protection as holiday bookings set to rise
  2. UK Civil Aviation Authority set to create new Environmental Sustainability Panel
  3. Website changes

View all latest news