Aircraft Registration

What's New from the Aircraft Registration Section

Aircraft Registration

Aircraft De-Registered as Transferred to the UK as at 1st September 2015 (Stateless aircraft)


Formerly foreign registered aircraft now de-registered as transferred to the UK.

See further details for: Aircraft De-Registered as Transferred to the UK as at 1st September 2015 (Stateless aircraft)

Single seat de-regulated microlights


Following the recent announcement made about the further de-regulation of single seat microlgiths please see the following links for guidance and information:

CAA guidance and FAQs.

LAA guidance.

BMAA guidance.

Unregistered aircraft flying in the UK on an EASA Permit to Fly


Owners of aircraft flying in the UK on an EASA permit to fly may need an exemption from the Air Navigation Order 2009 if their aircraft is not on the national register of the state that issued the EASA permit.

Some states, such as Germany and France, issue temporary or test markings to aircraft that may not qualify for a full CofA. Aircraft with these temporary marks do not have the automatic right to fly in any country other than state of issue.

The easiest way to determine if an aircraft is formally entered on the Register of the country concerned is by checking the Certificate of Registration. If an aircraft is entered on the national register of a country then it will have been issued with a Certificate of Registration in the format laid down by ICAO and it will include on it the following statement (in English):

" It is hereby certified that the above described aircraft has been duly entered on the ********** .in accordance with the Convention on International Civil Aviation dated 7 December 1944 and with the (†) .

***** = name of national register
(†) = applicable national regulations "

To apply for an exemption from the requirement to be registered in a contracting state please fax or email a request for an Article 3 Exemption and forward a copy of the EASA permit to fly and a copy of the current Certificate of insurance to:

Civil Aviation Authority
Aircraft Registration Section
CAA House
45-59 Kingsway

Fax (020) 7453 6670

There is no charge for the issue of an exemption under these circumstances.

If the aircraft does not have an EASA permit to fly please see Foreign aircraft exemptions.