Information Specific to Gliders

Registration information specific to gliders

The requirements for the registration of gliders are essentially the same as for other aircraft, please refer to the relevant section on the Register an Aircraft page for information specific to newly manufactured aircraft or used imports.

Under the Air Navigation Order 2009 all EASA gliders must now be registered and issued with a Certificate of Airworthiness. 

Please note that the registration process is separate from the requirements to gain a Certificate of Airworthiness or Permit to Fly.  For information on Certificates of Airworthiness or Permits to Fly please contact the Applications and Approvals Department of the CAA on telephone (01293) 768374 or fax (01293) 573860.   New owners are reminded that once they become the owner of a UK Registered aircraft that they are responsible for ensuring that the aircraft is fully maintained and operated in line with the requirements of the Certificate of Airworthiness or Permit to Fly.

The British Gliding Association (BGA) is the recommending organisation for gliding in the UK and they maintain a record of gliders in the UK.  One of the existing methods of glider identification is a three-letter code (trigraph) issued by the BGA, by default, the trigraph will be used as the last three letters of the UK Registration mark.  For example, if the BGA trigraph is PXL the aircraft will be allocated the next available UK registration mark that contains PXL as the last three letters, so if G-CPXL is not available the aircraft will be allocated G-DPXL and so on.  Out of sequence registration marks can also be used on gliders in place of trigraph related marks, for further details on the availability of marks see Availability of UK Marks. 


Once an aircraft is entered on the UK Register it must display its UK registration markings, for details of the requirements please see Display of Nationality and Registration Marks.


The BGA have produced an information leaflet on registration and airworthiness issues which is available on their website, to view the leaflet see AMP leaflet 3-7. 


Please note that you may require a radio licence to be issued in respect of this class of aircraft, please contact Radio Licensing for further details.