New Homebuilt

New Homebuilt Aircraft

To enter new homebuilt aircraft onto the UK Register of Civil Aircraft the owner or charterer should complete a CA1 Application form and return it to the Aircraft Registration section.  The fees for registration are included on this form, they are also available at Forms and Fees.

The CA1 Application form can be completed online, however, as the form needs to be signed by the applicant it cannot be submitted online and must therefore be printed.  Once printed and signed the form can be scanned and emailed or faxed to the Aircraft Registration Section.  As long as either credit or debit card details are included on the form there is no need to send a hard copy version of the form as well. Upon receipt of the application we will either register the aircraft or advise the applicant of any further actions required in accordance with our Service Standards.

Evidence of insurance, or a declaration that the aircraft will not fly until evidence of insurance has been supplied to the CAA, must also be supplied with your application to register.  Details of  the requirements are included on the CA1 Application form.  For further information please see Mandatory Insurance Requirements.

On the CA1 application form the manufacturer should be shown as the individual builder(s) of the kit or project rather than the kit manufacturer.  If a PFA project number has been issued this should be quoted as the aircraft serial number rather than a kit number. 

Application to register a homebuilt need only be made when the registration marks are required for physical application onto the aircraft or if required by the PFA.  There is no requirement to apply to register the aircraft whilst it is still at the plans stage or at an early stage of construction.

For information on the choice and availability of UK registration marks please see Availability and Reservation of UK Registration Marks.  For guidance on the display of registration marks please see Display of Nationality and Registration Marks.

Once an aircraft is entered on the UK Register it must display its UK registration markings, for details of the requirements please see Display of Nationality and Registration Marks.

Please note that the registration process is separate from the requirements to gain a Certificate of Airworthiness or Permit to Fly.  For information on Certificates of Airworthiness or Permits to Fly please contact the Applications and Approvals Department of the CAA on telephone (01293) 768374 or fax (01293) 573860.   New owners are reminded that once they become the owner of a UK Registered aircraft that they are responsible for ensuring that the aircraft is fully maintained and operated in line with the requirements of the Certificate of Airworthiness or Permit to Fly.

Please note that you may require a radio licence to be issued in respect of this aircraft, please contact Radio Licencing for further details.