Bowtie is a visual tool which effectively depicts risk providing an opportunity to identify and assess the key safety barriers either in place or lacking between a safety event and an unsafe outcome.
Bowtie models are a key component of Performance Based Regulation (PBR) and provide:
- An effective, visual depiction of risk.
- A balanced risk overview for the whole aviation system between internal and external stakeholders (including third party risks).
- An increased awareness and understanding of the safety risk leading to ‘Significant Seven’ outcomes.
- The best practice guidance material for safety risk management at an operational and regulatory level.
- An identification of critical risk controls and an assessment of their effectiveness.
- An identification of SPIs to monitor performance of risk control.
Bowties can also be used for a variety of tasks as shown below: (You can download this diagram as a PDF).