The Known Consignor scheme is voluntary. There is no legal requirement for any air cargo to be despatched from the shipper as SPX (Secure) cargo; insecure cargo may still be shipped, although it will be subject to additional security measures before it can be allowed to fly.
However, once approved as a Known Consignor, you must comply with the requirements outlined in the Regulations.
Once approved, Known Consignors are permitted to ship cargo from source. Such cargo may be transported by air without the need for any further security measures being applied.
- HR presence at the site inspection to provide details of the recruitment procedures for all staff including a pre-employment check or a criminal background check.
You must be able to demonstrate that:
- all staff (permanent, temporary or agency staff and drivers) with access to air cargo / mail have received the appropriate aviation security training
- access to the production area is controlled and the production process is supervised.
Details of approved cargo trainers are available on our website.
- £200 payable on application
- Validator's fee of £400 plus travel at 45p per mile, payable before the assessment to the validator
- Application forms must be received by the Cargo Support Team at least 6 weeks before a current certificate expires.
- Forms are acknowledged on receipt and processed within 4 weeks of the expiry date.
- Twelve calendar months from current expiry or from date of approval for new certificate holders
Associated rules, regulations and forms
The Guide to Known Consignors is available by contacting KCSupport@caa.gsi.gov.uk
You will need to provide
- A completed application form
- A site address that corresponds to the address required for the Consignment Security Certificate (CSC)
How to apply
What to expect
- The Known Consignor site will be subject to an inspection carried out by an independent DfT accredited Validator.
- For existing certificate holders the inspection will take place within 4 -6 weeks of the expiry date.
- The Cargo Support Team will allocate a Validator and contact you with the details.
- Following a successful validation of the site, you will be issued with a UAI number for the continuity of the Known Consignor Status.
Cargo Business Support Unit
Aviation Security Compliance
45 – 59 Kingsway
Telephone: 020 7453 5826