Licence information

Learning to fly

The LAPL and NPPL are more restrictive in terms of what you can fly than the PPL but require less training and, in some cases, an easier medical, both in terms of standards of health, but also time between medical examinations. However, the full medical examination and certificate for a PPL(A) is not something a member of the public in generally normal health would fail.

  • The PPL and LAPL are both European licences issued by the CAA under European legislation and known as EASA Part-FCL licences.
  • The NPPL is a UK national licence run by the CAA and pilot associations.It can only contain three aircraft ratings - SSEA, microlight (from the British Microlight Aircraft Association) and self launching motor glider so the types of aircraft you can fly are more limited. 

See for more details.