A national approval, issued under the Air Navigation Order and covers design, manufacture, certification, maintenance, continuing airworthiness management and flight testing of aircraft excluded from European Council Regulation (EC) 216/2008, as amended, including those aircraft listed in Annex II (commonly referred to Non-EASA aircraft).
The organisation must already hold an approval issued by the CAA under the Air Navigation order.
Correctly completed applications will be processed, acknowledged and passed to the Regional Office for investigation within 10 working days.
Approval certificates will be processed and dispatched within 20 working days following receipt of a recommendation from a CAA regional office.
- Once approval is granted a biannual recommendation for continuation must be made by the CAA Surveyor.
- Approvals remain valid unless cancelled, suspended or revoked
Requests to change open applications should be discussed with Applications and Approvals (A&A) in the first instance. In some cases a new application may be required. Please note that once the regional office has started the investigation, changes to the application cannot be considered.
You will need to provide
- Completed form SRG 1741
- Relevant fee
- Copy of Certificate of Incorporation from Companies House for company name changes
(not applicable if applicant is trading as an individual or partnership)
- Declaration of organisation compliance
(for applications for privilege to issue Certificates of Validity)
- Company manual amendment
Associated rules, regulations and forms
- SRG 1741
- AD 461
- Declaration of organisation compliance for issue of Certificates of Validity
- CAP 553, BCAR regulations for approvals
- CAP 562, Leaflet C20 for information on requirements set for CAA approval of an organisation
- CAP 562, Leaflet 1-18 for information on changes of company name and company registration number
- CAP 747, for EASA Annex II aircraft types
- EASA Part 66 aircraft listing for State aircraft types
Guidance when making an application for BCAR A8-23, A8-24 and A8-25 Approvals
Payments can be made by credit or debit card or by bank transfer or with a cheque made payable to the Civil Aviation Authority.
When using bank transfer, it would be helpful if you could please identify what the payment is for by including your approval reference and receiving department.
How to apply
- Applicant completes the application form SRG 1741
- Applicants sends SRG 1741 to A&A with relevant fee and copy of Certificate of Incorporation
- A&A will process the application and acknowledge within 10 working days
- A&A will forward a copy of the application to the local CAA regional office.
What to expect
- A CAA regional office local to the applicant will contact them to discuss the investigation
- The applicant submits the Company Manual amendment and AD461 if applicable to the regional office Surveyor.
- The Surveyor may carry out an on-site audit and will follow this with a formal notification of all audit items that need corrective action
- The Surveyor will assess the company manual amendment.
- The applicant should address any audit findings and provide written notification of root cause and corrective action taken.
- The Surveyor will assess the organisation's proposed corrective actions. Actions will be discussed with the applicant if necessary and, when able to, the Surveyor will close the audit.
- When able to do so, the Surveyor will make a recommendation for the grant of the change to the approval. The recommendation will be sent to A&A.
- The A&A will issue the approval certificate and send original to the applicant.
CAA local regional offices
Applications and Approvals
Civil Aviation Authority
Gatwick Airport South
Telephone: 01293 768374 (open 8.30am to 5pm)