Air Traffic Personnel

Information about the Air Traffic Controller’s Licence, Flight Information Service Officer’s Licence and applications for the grant of a Radio Operator’s Certificate of Competence.

There are two levels of Air Traffic Service provided in the UK, Air Traffic Control service (ATC) and Flight Information Service (FIS).

Before providing either an Air Traffic Control (ATC) service or Flight Information Service (FIS), an individual must be appropriately qualified and licensed.

  • To provide an ATC Service, you must hold an Air Traffic Controller’s (ATCO) Licence that includes an associated rating endorsement appropriate to the task.
  • To provide a FIS at an aerodrome, you must hold a Flight Information Service Officer’s (FISO) Licence.

These licences are issued by the CAA following completion of the appropriate training courses and examinations.

Recruitment and Training of ATCOs

The CAA does not recruit or provide training for ATCOs. If you are considering a career in Air Traffic Control, you are advised to contact the organisation that provides ATC at your local airport.  They should be able to put you in contact with appropriate training organisations. Further information on gaining an ATCO licence can be found using the links below.

For further information regarding the Licensing of ATCOs and FISOs, please contact the CAA at +44 (0) 1293 573700 or e-mail

Air Traffic Controllers

Flight Information Service Officers

Radio Operator's Certificate of Competence