Problems with a Travel Agent

Resolving issues relating to bookings made through travel agents

Travel Agent Documentation

As soon as you make a payment for a flight or flight-inclusive holiday to a travel agent, you are entitled to receive an ATOL Certificate containing the name and ATOL number of the ATOL holder your booking is with. This will ensure that your payment is not at risk if the agent ceases to trade. If you do not receive an ATOL Certificate, ask why. If you still do not get one, you can contact the CAA for advice.

Standards of Service

The CAA has no legal powers to regulate agents' standards of service except in providing the correct documents. You should take up the complaint first with the company concerned. If the matter is not resolved and the company is a member of either ABTA, TTA or The Global Travel Group you should contact them for advice.  If not, try Consumer Direct on 08454 040506.

Agent Ceased trading

If you have an ATOL Certificate specifying an ATOL holder, you should contact that firm first. If there is no ATOL reference but an airline is identified, you should contact the airline to see if a booking has been made, and for any further details they can give you.

If there is no reference to an ATOL holder or airline but the agent is in a trade association such as ABTA, the TTA or the Global Travel Group you should contact them for advice. If not you should contact Citizens Advice on 08454 040506 or visit

More Information: Problems with Travel Agents FAQ