Recreational Aviation

These pages provide an overview of recreational aviation aeronautical radio stations and the associated frequency assignments for their use. Links to other information and organisations are also included.

Recreational Aviation comprises associations, clubs, societies and individuals operating gliders, hang gliders, para gliders, paramotors, microlights, parachutes, balloons, gyroplanes and simple single engine aeroplanes (SSEA).

Aeronautical radio stations, comprising fixed, mobile, portable and hand-held radio equipment, are typically established and operated by these clubs, societies and individuals to provide radio communications with aircraft for the exchange of messages related to the particular recreational aviation activity.

The UK CAA's Surveillance & Spectrum Management have made a number of frequency assignments in the Aeronautical Mobile Service (AMS) allocation of 117.975 to 137.000 MHz available for use by recreational aviation aeronautical radio stations that have applied for, and been granted, an ANO Approval and WT Act Licence.

The following frequency assignments for recreational aviation aeronautical radio stations have been ‘pre-assigned’ on a non-protected basis and are shared between users.  The aeronautical radio station radio operators, WT Act Licensees and aircraft stations flight crew are responsible for ensuring that they use correct radiotelephony procedures and discipline so that these assignments are shared in a reasonable manner between all users.

Glider (Standard)
Glider (Common Glider Field Frequency (CGFF))
Parachute (Drop Zone)
Parachute (Instructor)

122.475 MHz
129.900 MHz, 130.100 MHz, 130.125 MHz, 130.400 MHz
129.975 MHz
129.900 MHz
118.675 MHz
129.825 MHz
129.900 MHz
130.525 MHz

Note: The frequency of 129.900 MHz is shared between Glider (Standard), HangGlider and Parachute (Drop Zone).

Please note that the use of any of the above frequencies by aircraft for communicating with an aeronautical radio station on the ground requires an Aircraft Station WT Act Licence to be held. Further information can be found on the Ofcom website and on the CAA's Radio Licensing pages.

More information about recreational aviation can be found on the websites of the representative organisations listed below:

The Flight Operations Operations & Airworthiness pages also provide further information of interest to recreational aviation.