Flying Aeroplanes on a Medical Declaration

Guidance on how to stay legal after 30 September 2013

Do you hold a Private Pilots Licence (PPL), a Commercial Pilots Licence (CPL) or an Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL) and fly single engine piston aeroplanes (SEP), simple single engine aeroplane (SSEA), self launching motor gliders (SLMG) or microlight aeroplanes?

Are you flying aeroplanes on a Medical Declaration?

If the answer is yes to both of the above questions, you need to be aware that the General Exemption (Official Record Series 4, General Exemption, No: 912) which permits this combination of JAR-FCL or Part-FCL licence and medical declaration, ends on 30 September 2013.

(The ending of this exemption does not affect the pilots of gyroplanes, or balloons, or the holders of any National Private Pilots Licence (NPPL or any pre-JAR-FCL UK aeroplane licence)).

What does this mean for me?

You need to ensure you have the required combination of Medical and Licence documents, if you wish to continue to fly after 30 September 2013.

  • If you hold an aeroplane JAR-FCL or Part-FCL PPL (not an NPPL) you must hold a Part-MED Class 1 or  Class 2 medical.
  • If you hold an aeroplane JAR-FCL or Part-FCL CPL or ATPL you must hold a Part-MED Class 1 medical certificate.

If you cannot obtain a Class 1 or 2 medical (or do not wish to) you can either:

  • Obtain a Part-MED Light Aircraft Pilots Licence (LAPL) Medical Certificate, and a LAPL(A) ;
  • Convert your existing licence to a UK NPPL.

What should I do?

  • You can obtain a Class 2 or LAPL Medical Certificate from an AME.
  • You can obtain a LAPL medical Certificate from your GP.

You can change your licence by applying to the CAA using Form SRG 1190 (Application for the Re-Grade of UK Issued Pilots Licences to Part-FCL, Private Pilot’s Licences, Light Aircraft Pilot Licences or National Private Pilot Licences).

Please allow plenty of time, as the CAA has many conversion applications to process following the EASA changeover.

I already hold an NPPL

If you fly with an NPPL already you can continue to do so with a Medical Declaration, but be aware of the need to hold at least a LAPL by 8 April 2015, if the aircraft you fly has an EASA Certificate of Airworthiness or permit to fly. The NPPL will continue to remain valid for microlights and other non-EASA aircraft into the future.

Further Information

For detailed information see Information Notice IN-2012/100