Changes of UK Registration marks on all other aircraft

Changes of UK Registration marks on all othe aircraft

Changes of UK Registration Marks

If your aircraft has a Permit to Fly issued by the Light Aircraft Association please see Changes of UK Registration marks on LAA aircraft.

A UK registered aircraft can be issued with one in-sequence registration mark or any number of out-of-sequence registrations.

In order to change the registration of an aircraft from one to another the following procedure should be carried out:-

  1. Select an available registration mark. For information on the choice and availability of UK registration marks please see Availability and Reservation of UK Registration Marks. For guidance on the display of registration marks please see Display of Nationality and Registration Marks.

  2. Complete a CA1 Application form and return it to Aircraft Registration. The CA1 Application form can be completed online, however, as the form needs to be signed by the applicant it cannot be submitted online and must therefore be printed. Once printed and signed the form can be scanned and emailed or faxed to the Aircraft Registration Section. As long as either credit or card details are included on the form there is no need to send a hard copy version of the form as well.

  3. Enclose the fee for re-registration see forms and fees. If the Same Day service is selected an additional fee is payable.

  4. In addition to the completed application form and the Certificate of Registration the following original documents must also be returned to Aircraft Registration for onward transmission to the CAA Applications and Approvals department for reissue.
  • Certificate of Airworthiness or Permit to Fly
  • Airworthiness Review Certificate or Certificate of Validity
  • Noise Certificate

    Please note: If your aircraft holds an Airworthiness Review Certificate issued by a CAMO (ARC 15b or 15a Extension) you may return the original certificate to either Applications & Approvals, or your local CAA Regional Office for re-validation. This is provided that the certificate has remaining validity.

    Alternatively, you should contact your CAMO to request a replacement ARC be produced to reflect the new UK registration mark. Upon issue, the existing ARC should be returned to CAA Applications & Approvals Section for revocation.

    The noise certificate issued to reflect the new UK registration mark will contain the same noise values as the previous certificate. Should you require a new noise certificate due to a change of data you will need to complete one of the following applications and return this to Applications & Approvals with the appropriate fee in accordance with the CAA Scheme of Charges: Noise Certificates online form. See Noise Certificates for further details.

Evidence of insurance, or a declaration that the aircraft will not fly until evidence of insurance has been supplied to the CAA, must also be supplied with your application to register. Details of the requirements are included on the CA1 Application form. For further information please see Mandatory Insurance Requirements.

Any other documents can be amended by the CAA local area office. Please note these documents should be returned whilst the aircraft is grounded and being changed to the new registration marks. Once Aircraft Registration has changed the registration this effectively invalidates the Certificate of Airworthiness until re-issued by the CAA. Also, depending on the Certificate of Airworthiness category, and type of flight, the original documents mentioned above may be required to be on board the aircraft.

If we are unable to carry out the requested change of registration marks after receipt of the above documents then we shall contact you in accordance with our Service Standards. If the transaction is urgent a Same Day service is available for the registration process, this is based on the receipt of all the required information and payment of an additional fee, for further details see Service Standards. A separate Same Day fee may be payable for the issue of the CofA/Permit to Fly. Please see Applications and Approvals Same Day services.