Group Ownership of aircraft

Information about owning a share in an aircraft.

In cases where there are three or more individual owners of an aircraft it is recommended that one of the owners, or at the most two, be nominated as trustees of the (for example) G-GCAA flying group (or any other name that the group may have) on the application to enter the aircraft on the UK Register or to record a change of ownership. The application should be made on a CA1 Application Form and returned to the Aircraft Registration Section. The CA1 Application form can be completed online, however, as the form needs to be signed by the applicant it cannot be submitted online and must therefore be printed. Once printed and signed the form can be scanned and emailed or faxed to the Aircraft Registration Section. As long as either credit or debit card details are included on the form there is no need to send a hard copy version of the form as well.

Additionally a full list of names, addresses, nationalities and percentage shareholdings of the other group members must be supplied on the Trustee Grid form at the time of application, and updated, if and when any members leave or join the group.

In this way any member may leave or join the group without the need to re-register the aircraft on every occasion and thus incurring a fee. The aircraft must, however, be re-registered if the trustee leaves the group. In this instance the outgoing trustee should complete, sign and return the Certificate of Registration to the Aircraft Registration Section. If the Certificate is not readily available the sale notification form can be used instead. In both cases, the signed form can either be faxed or emailed, there is no need to send the hard copy in the post.

As the cost sharing involved in the operation of group owned aircraft may mean that, inadvertently, the aircraft is flying for public transport on a private category certificate of airworthiness or the EASA equivalent of a private category certificate of airworthiness. Please refer to Article 269 of the Air Navigation Order 2009 regarding public transport and aerial work. This is to ensure that you have complied with the legal requirements with regards to cost sharing and group ownership and that the flights are deemed to be private flight. For further guidance please see the document provided by the CAA Legal Department, Summary of Public Transport and Aerial Work. Evidence of insurance, or a declaration that the aircraft will not fly until evidence of insurance has been supplied to the CAA, must also be supplied with your application to register. Details of the requirements are included on the CA1 Application form. For further information please see Mandatory Insurance Requirements.

If you are buying a share in a group owned aircraft please see buyers information in respect of group owned aircraft further details.

Please note that the registration process is separate from the requirements to gain a Certificate of Airworthiness or Permit to Fly. For information on Certificates of Airworthiness or Permits to Fly please contact the Applications and Approvals Department of the CAA on telephone (01293) 768374 or fax (01293) 573860. New owners are reminded that once they become the owner of a UK Registered aircraft that they are responsible for ensuring that the aircraft is fully maintained and operated in line with the requirements of the Certificate of Airworthiness or Permit to Fly.

Please note that you may require a radio licence to be issued in respect of this aircraft, please contact Radio Licensing for further details.