If you have a BGA Gliding Certificate with sailplane towing privilege you can convert this rating to a Part FCL licence.
If you hold an existing UK issued Flight Crew licence which has not already been converted to a Part-FCL licence, then the conversion process will take place when you apply for the sailplane towing rating.
Please check our information on licence conversions for details of the application form and supporting information that we require.
Ratings will be granted for aeroplanes, TMGs or both according to the information that you provide.
When applying please confirm whether you are applying to tow gliders in an aeroplane, TMG or both.
The sailplane towing standards in the UK, established by the BGA, are competency based. These are considered equivalent to those of Part-FCL, particularly in respect of the flying experience and theoretical knowledge requirements.
See the Comparison Tables in Section 4 of CAP 804 for details.
- The differences shown in the Comparison Table are reflected in the conversion requirements.
- Ratings will be granted for aeroplanes or TMGs according to the information you provide.
A Part-FCL Sailplane Towing Rating will be granted to pilots who:
- Convert their UK issued licence to a Part FCL licence before 8 April 2015.
- Have qualified to tow through a BGA gliding club, and show logbook evidence of the following:
- at least 30 hours of flight time as PIC and 60 take-offs and landings in aeroplanes, if the activity is to be carried out in aeroplane, or in TMG, if the activity is to be carried out in TMGs, completed after the issue of the UK licence
- at least 10 flights as PIC towing a sailplane in an Aeroplane at a BGA Club. The Sailplane Towing Rating will be restricted to Aeroplanes only.
- at least 10 flights as PIC towing a sailplane in a TMG at a BGA Club. The Sailplane Towing Rating will be restricted to TMG’s only.
Once the Sailplane Towing rating has been endorsed on to a Part-FCL licence you cannot begin towing until you meet the requirements shown in FCL 805(e), Section 4. If you don't meet these requirements, you must first complete the missing tows with an instructor.
Up until 8 April 2015, the supervising instructor can be the nominated Chief Tug Pilot at the Gliding Club.
The fee applicable will vary according to whether you already hold a UK licence, whether that licence has already been converted to an EASA-FCL licence, or if your application is made at the same time as applying for something else.
Check the Fee Calculator to find the price for your application.
The current Scheme of Charges contains full details.
Processing time (On receipt of all required information)
- We endeavour to process applications in 10 working days from receipt. Incomplete applications are not subject to the 10 working day turnaround until all application requirements are met
- The sailplane towing rating does not have a validity period.
Associated Rules, Regulations and Forms
You will need to provide
- Application form SRG 1104 if applying at the time of licence conversion. If applying at any other time SRG 2157.
Please state if you are applying for the sailplane towing rating on the basis of towing sailplanes using a Single Engine Piston aircraft or a TMG
- A certified copy of your Certificate of Revalidation page from licence.
- Evidence showing that you meet the conversion requirements have been met as detailed above.
If you are applying on the basis of a conversion, you must also provide any documentation as stated in the conversion requirements contained in CAP804, Section 4, part P.
Please ensure that you have scanned copies of any supporting documents as these will need to be attached to your online application.
How to apply
- Once all of the requirements above have been met, submit your application by post or in person to the address below.
What to expect
- A desk based assessment from a Flight Crew Licensing Officer or Assistant.
- Following an acceptable assessment your licensing application will be processed signed and despatched.
- We will contact you if we have any queries regarding your application and may keep your application pending whilst any additional requirements are met.
- An assessment and refund fee may be charged if the assessment results in the rejection of your application. This will also be applied if you choose cancel your application.
Gatwick Airport South