This information explains how to renew the class rating that allows you to pilot a Multi Engine Piston Aeroplane.
Please note that If you are the holder of an existing UK issued JAR Flight Crew licence which has not already been converted to a Part-FCL licence, then the conversion process will take place when you apply for a night rating. This will require you to send us additional information.
Please see our information about licence conversions for more details.
You must have:
- a current and valid flight crew licence issued by the UK CAA with an expired multi engine piston rating.
- completed refresher training at an ATO, approved under Part-ORA, when necessary to reach the level of proficiency necessary to safely operate the relevant class or type of aeroplane(in accordance with AMC1 FCL.740(b)(1) )
- passed a proficiency check in accordance with Appendix 9 to PART-FCL. (Please ensure that your examiner has met the designation of examiner for skills test for initial issue of Licences, ratings and certificates and Briefing of Non UK examiners requirements, as detailed in information notice IN 2012/153 and IN 2012/156, if applicable)
- a current and valid Language Proficiency level acceptable to the UK CAA.
- a valid PART MED medical certificate appropriate for your licence and your medical records must be held by the UK CAA.
Please refer to CAP 804 section 4, Part H, subpart 1 – FCL.740 for more information.
Applications made from 1 April 2015
- £88 for renewing a class rating on a licence if it is being processed by the UK CAA.
- No fee is payable if the UK CAA is receiving this for information only and your licence has been correctly signed up by an appropriately authorised examiner.
Please note that additional fees may apply if your licence needs to be converted and for checking tfat the ratings on a PART FCL licence remain valid.
See the Scheme of Charges (Personnel Licensing) table 6, page 6 for details.
Additional fees also apply if you want your documents returned by secure courier.
Processing time (On receipt of all required information)
- We endeavour to process licence applications within 15 working days. Incomplete applications are not subject to the 15 working day turnaround until all application requirements are met.
- the rating is valid for 1 year from the date that you pass the proficiency check or skills test (as required) to renew the rating.
Associated Rules, Regulations and Forms
You will need to provide
- A fully completed Application form for the renewal a Class Rating (form SRG1119C)
- Copy of Part FCL medical certificate.
- Course Completion Certificate
If you are applying on the basis of training and testing conducted by a non UK approved EASA Part FCL Approved Training Organisation you must send copies of the following:
- the ATO’s PART ORA approval certificate
- the examiners licence and examiner authorisation certificate
- the current and valid examiner briefing certificate, issued by the UK CAA.
How to apply
Once all of the requirements above have been met, please complete and submit the online application form.
What to expect
- A desk based assessment from a Flight Crew Licensing Officer or Assistant.
- Following an acceptable assessment your licence will be processed signed and despatched.
- We will contact you if we have any queries regarding your application and may keep your application pending while the additional requirements are met.
- An assessment and refund fee may be charged if the UK CAA rejects your application for not meeting all of the requirements.
This will also be applied if you choose cancel your application.
Gatwick Airport South