This type/class rating allows you to pilot a Multi Engine Aeroplane
Please note that If you are the holder of an existing UK issued JAR Flight Crew licence which has not already been converted to a Part-FCL licence, then the conversion process will take place when you apply for this rating. This will require you to send us additional information.
Please see our information about licence conversions for more details.
Information on applying on the basis of UK Military credits or a transferring a rating held on a Third Country licence.
You must have:
- a current and valid flight crew licence issued by the UK CAA
- completed at least 70 hours as PIC on aeroplanes
- a current and valid Language Proficiency level acceptable to the UK CAA.
- a valid PART MED medical certificate appropriate for your licence and your medical records must be held by the UK CAA.
Theory, Flight Training and Skills Test Requirements
You must have completed and passed:
- a training course at an ATO, approved under Part-ORA. The type rating training course shall include the mandatory training elements for the relevant type as defined in the operational suitability data established in accordance with Part-21.
- a theory course that includes at least 7 hours of instruction in multi-engine aeroplane operations.
- a flight training course that includes at least 2 hours and 30 minutes of dual flight instruction under normal conditions of multi-engine aeroplane operations, and not less than 3 hours 30 minutes of dual flight instruction in engine failure procedures and asymmetric flight techniques.
- a written theory exam organised by the ATO
- a skill test in accordance with Appendix 9 to Part-FCL. This must be completed within the 6 months after you begin the training course and within the 6 months before you apply for the class rating.
Please ensure that your examiner has met the designation of examiner for skills test for initial issue of Licences, ratings and certificates and Briefing of Non UK examiners requirements, as detailed in information notice IN 2012/153 and IN 2012/156, if applicable).
Applications made from 1 April 2015
- £119 for issuing a class rating onto a CPL(A) or ATPL(A)
- £88 for issuing a class rating onto a PPL (A)
Please note additional fees may apply if your licence needs to be converted and for checking tfat the ratings on a PART FCL licence remain valid.
See the Scheme of Charges (Personnel Licensing), table 6 page 6 for details.
Additional fees also apply if you want your documents returned by secure courier.
Processing time (On receipt of all required information)
- We endeavour to process licence applications within 15 working days. Incomplete applications are not subject to the 15 working day turnaround until all application requirements are met.
- 1 year from the date of passing the MEP skills test.
Associated Rules, Regulations and Forms
You will need to provide
- A completed online application form
- Copy of Part FCL medical certificate.
- A course completion certificate
If you are applying on the basis of training and testing conducted by a non UK approved EASA Part FCL Approved Training Organisation you must send copies of the following:
- the ATO’s PART ORA approval certificate
- the examiners licence and examiner authorisation certificate
- the current and valid examiner briefing certificate, issued by the UK CAA.
If you are applying on the basis of a Third country ICAO licence conversion you will need to send us:
- the original Third country ICAO licence and validating medical certificate,
- a copy certified by the Head of Training of an Approved Training Organisation (ATO); or the holder of a registration for a Registered Training Facility (RTF); or an examiner authorised by the CAA.
How to apply
Once all of the requirements above have been met, please complete and submit the online application form.
What to expect
- A desk based assessment from a Flight Crew Licensing Officer or Assistant.
- Following an acceptable assessment your licence will be processed signed and despatched.
- We will contact you if we have any queries regarding your application and may keep your application pending while the additional requirements are met.
- An assessment and refund fee may be charged if the UK CAA rejects your application for not meeting all of the requirements.
This will also be applied if you choose cancel your application.
Gatwick Airport South