This type / class rating allows you to pilot Single Engine Aeroplanes
If you hold an existing UK issued JAR Flight Crew licence that has not already been converted to a Part-FCL licence, then the conversion will take place as part of this application. This will require an additional application form/information will have to be submitted, and additional requirements may have to be met. Please refer to the conversion information on our website in addition to the information on this page.
You must have:
- a current and valid licence issued by the UK CAA
- completed a training course at an ATO approved under Part-ORA
(The theoretical knowledge examination shall be conducted verbally by the examiner during the skill test to determine whether or not a satisfactory level of knowledge has been achieved.)
- passed a skill test in accordance with Appendix 9 to Part-FCL to demonstrate the skill required for the safe operation of this class of aeroplane.
(Please ensure that your examiner has met the designation of examiner for skills test for initial issue of Licences, ratings and certificates and Briefing of Non UK examiners requirements, as detailed in information notice IN 2012/153 and IN 2012/156, if applicable)
- a current and valid Language Proficiency Level acceptable to the UK CAA
Your medical records must be held by the UK CAA and you must hold a current and valid PART MED medical certificate that is appropriate to the level of your licence.
Please see to CAP 804 section 4, Part H, subpart 1 for more information.
Applications made from 1 April 2015
- £119.00 for the issue of a class rating onto a licence if holder of a CPL(A) or (ATPL)(A)
- £88.00 for the issue of a class rating onto a licence if holder of a PPL (A), being processed by the UK CAA.
Please note additional fees will apply if your licence needs to be converted as part of this application. The conversion process will also require ratings on a PART FCL licence to be checked for validity.
Please see the Scheme of charges (Personnel LIcensing), table 6 page 6.
An additional fee applies if you want your documents to be returned by secure courier.
Processing time (On receipt of all required information)
- We endeavour to process licence applications within 15 working days. Incomplete applications are not subject to the 15 working day turnaround until all application requirements are met.
The rating is valid for 2 years from the date when you pass the SEP skills test.
Associated Rules, Regulations and Forms
You will need to provide
- Fully completed online application form
- Copy of Part FCL medical certificate.
If you are applying on the basis of training and testing conducted by a non UK approved EASA Part FCL Approved Training Organisation you must send copies of the following:
- the ATO’s PART ORA approval certificate
- the examiners licence and examiner authorisation certificate
- the current and valid examiner briefing certificate, issued by the UK CAA.
If you are applying on the basis of a Third country ICAO licence conversion you will need to send us:
- the original Third country ICAO licence and validating medical certificate,
- a copy certified by the Head of Training of an Approved Training Organisation (ATO); or the holder of a registration for a Registered Training Facility (RTF); or an examiner authorised by the CAA.
- a Course Completion Certificate
How to apply
Once all of the requirements above have been met, please complete and submit the online application form.
What to expect
A desk based assessment from a Flight Crew Licensing Officer or Assistant. Following an acceptable assessment your licence will be processed signed and despatched. We will contact you if we have any queries regarding your application and may keep your application pending whilst the additional requirements are met.
Gatwick Airport South