Conversion of Sailplane Licences and Ratings (including BGA conversions)

How to apply


From April 2018 it will be mandatory  to hold a Part FCL licence to fly EASA Sailplanes.


Although conversion requirements are detailed in CAP 804, holders of existing BGA Glider Certificate should contact the BGA directly regarding conversion to a Part FCL sailplane licence from either a LAPL(S) or SPL. This includes any associated ratings, such as sailplane towing ratings, that are being added to the LAPL(S) or SPL at the time of licence issues.

For information on adding a sailplane towing rating to an Aeroplane licence, such as a Part FCL PPL(A), please see our guidance on Sailplane towing ratings.

Some pilots may have held licences in other member states but are required by European Commission Regulation (EU) No. 1178/2011 as amended, to have all of their licences administered by the National Aviation Authority that holds their medical records (Part MED.A.030 and Part FCL.015) and require the UK CAA to issue a sailplane licence or add a sailplane towing rating to a licence.

In these cases you must ensure that you meet the conversion requirements for the state that originally issued the licence. Once thisis confirmed you  should apply to us and arrange for the National Aviation Authority to contact us directly confirming that you meet the requirements of their conversion report, with details of what that State would issue and any remarks and privileges they would annotate the rating on the licence.


Please refer to the BGA website in respect of BGA Glider conversions.

To convert glider privileges issued by another member state you must hold a UK issued licence in another category and meet the requirements as detailed above. If you do not already hold any licence with the UK CAA, but have changed your competent state for your medical to the UK CAA making this the first licence you hold with us, please follow the change of state process, but completing form and meeting the requirements of SRG1136.


Please refer to the BGA website for fees in respect of BGA Glider conversions.

For conversions based on already holding a UK issued licence and wishing to transfer glider privileges from another state this to a LAPL (S) or an SPL the fee is

  • £73.00 (if applying before 1 April 2015)
  • £72.00 (if applying from 1 April 2015)

Processing time (On receipt of all required information)

We endeavour to process licence applications within 10 working days. Incomplete applications are not subject to the 10 working day turnaround until all application requirements are met.

Validity period

The licences are valid for life, subject to recency  and medical requirements being maintained.

Associated Rules, Regulations and Forms

If you hold a BGA certificate and wish to have a UK licence, please contact the BGA directly.  


In all other cases, please apply using application form SRG 1104.

You will need to provide

  • If you are applying for a LAPL(S) or SPL on the basis of a BGA certificate, then you should contact the BGA directly
  • If you are not applying for a LAPL(S) or SPL on the basis of a BGA certificate, then please submit application form SRG 1104. 
  • If applying for an additional rating, then please submit application form SRG 2157.  You will also need to provide a certified copy of your Certificate of Revalidation page from licence, and evidence showing that you meet the conversion requirements as stated in CAP804, Section 4, part P. 

How to apply

  • See the guidance above under 'You will need to provide'

What to expect

  • A desk based assessment from a Flight Crew Licensing Officer or Assistant.  
  • Following an acceptable assessment your licensing application will be processed signed and despatched.  
  • We will contact you if we have any queries regarding your application and may keep your application pending whilst any additional requirements are met.
  • An assessment and refund fee may be charged if the assessment results in the rejection of your application.  This will also be applied if you choose cancel your application.

Contact us

Licensing Department
Aviation House
Gatwick Airport South