Aircraft Noise Certificates

How to apply


The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) states that "Noise certification shall be granted or validated by the State of Registry of an aircraft on the basis of satisfactory evidence that the aircraft complies with the requirements which are at least equal to the applicable Standards specified in this Annex".

The CAA discharges its responsibilities regarding ICAO requirements for EASA Aircraft through European Regulation (EC) No. 216/2008 Article 6 and for Non-EASA Aircraft through the Aeroplane Noise Regulations 1999, the Aeroplane Noise (Amendment) Regulations 1999 and the Air Navigation (Environmental Standards for Non-EASA Aircraft) Order 2008.

Not every aircraft on the UK Register is obliged to have a Noise Certificate. There is no legislation requiring noise certificates for older aircraft and, with the exception of microlights, Permit to Fly aircraft.

This application is not required when you are also applying for a Certificate of Airworthiness.

Who can apply

- Individuals
- Partnerships
- Private Clubs
- Limited Liability Partnerships
- Limited Company
- Charities
- Trusts
- Public Educational Establishments (University/College)

How to apply

Contact us


Applications and Approvals
Civil Aviation Authority
Aviation House
Gatwick Airport South
West Sussex
Telephone: 01293 768374 (open 8.30am to 4.30pm)