• To fly any EASA certified aircraft, from 8 April 2018 you will need to hold an EASA licence.
    There are two exceptions: the deadline for sailplane and balloon licences under EASA SPL, BPL, LAPL(s) or LAPL(B) is 8 April 2020 (mandatory conversion is not required prior to this date) and microlights and gyroplanes cannot be converted to an equivalent Part-FCL licence.

    The EASA licensing system

    Pilot licensing regulations are being standardised across all member states of EASA (the European Aviation Safety Agency), including the UK. A number of new pilot licences have been introduced which replace licences issued by national authorities across Europe. These licences are known as EASA licences or Part-FCL licences, and have been mainly introduced by European Part-FCL legislation. 

    A JAR licence will continue to be valid until its expiry date but cannot be renewed. Expired JAR licences will have to be converted to an EASA licence. After the deadline, it will only be possible to fly EASA certified aircraft if you hold an EASA licence.

    You will not lose your licence if you do not convert by 8 April 2018. If you hold a JAR licence, you will not be able to exercise the privileges of your licence until it has been converted to the EASA format. Lifetime UK PPLs will still be valid to fly Annex II non-EASA aircraft, subject to holding the minimum level of medical required and a valid rating. However, any privileges to fly EASA aircraft will be lost.

    Our licence conversion table will help identify the most appropriate EASA licence to convert to.

    Holding an EASA licence will entitle you to fly EASA registered aircraft. They are also valid for life, whereas JAR licences required renewal every five years.

    We recommend that pilots submit their applications early: we cannot guarantee that we will be able to process last-minute applications in time for the deadline, which may result in the grounding of a pilot.

  • It is not necessary for pilots wishing only to fly non-EASA (otherwise known as Annex II) aircraft to convert their licences - a UK national licence is required. Annex II of the Basic Regulation, the European legislation upon which flight crew licensing is based, lists the applicable aircraft which currently include:

    • Microlight aeroplanes;
    • Light gyroplanes;
    • Amateur built aircraft;
    • Ex-military aircraft;
    • Foot-launched aircraft;
    • Vintage aircraft that meet specific criteria for date of design and manufacture; 
    • Aircraft built or modified for scientific or novel purposes.

    More detailed information on these categories can be found in Annex II to Regulation 216/2008 (EASA Basic Regulation). The classification of an individual aircraft registered in Europe is shown on the Certificate of Airworthiness or Permit to Fly for that aircraft.

    In the UK, if the aircraft type is covered by the ratings included in your EASA licence, you will be able to fly both EASA aircraft and UK-registered non-EASA aircraft. However, certain non-EASA aircraft require specific UK national type ratings which can only be issued on a UK national licence (not on an EASA licence). If you wish to continue to fly these aircraft types after converting to an EASA licence, you can apply for a different type of UK national licence when making your conversion. A UK national licence will not permit you to fly EASA aircraft.

    The UK PPL can be retained after converting your licence to the EASA format in order to operate Annex II non-EASA aircraft within UK airspace. Tick 'I wish to retain or be issued with a UK National Pilot's Licence to hold a type rating for Annex II aircraft' on the application form in order to be reissued with the UK PPL.

    EASA licences have a lifetime validity, and there will be no need to renew this licence one it has been issued. If you wish to exercise the privileges of your licence, you will need to ensure that your medical is valid and your ratings are current. Renewal/revalidation requirements can be found in CAP 804 Section 4 Part H.

    An EASA Class 2 medical is required at a minimum in order to convert to and exercise the privileges of an EASA PPL.


    PPL(A): The privileges of the holder of a PPL(A) are to act without remuneration as PIC or co-pilot on aeroplanes or TMGs engaged in non-commercial operations for a PPL(A). The PPL(A) is not valid to fly EASA Sailplanes and Powered Sailplanes, except Touring Motor Gliders (TMGs), with an SPL or LAPL(S) required to operate these aircraft.

    PPL(H): The privileges of the holder of a PPL(H) are to act without remuneration as PIC or co-pilot of helicopters engaged in non-commercial operations.

    PPL(As): The privileges of the holder of a PPL(As) are to act without remuneration as PIC or co-pilot of airships engaged in non-commercial operations.

    Note that if you hold an IMC/IRR and wish to continue to exercise the privileges of this rating, you must hold at least an EASA PPL. This rating does not appear on the EASA LAPL.

    An EASA LAPL medical is required at a minimum in order to convert to and exercise the privileges of an EASA LAPL.


    Within the 24 months prior to intended flight, you must have completed:

    LAPL(A): in a single engine piston aeroplane or TMG:

    1. At least 12 hours of flight time as PIC, including 12 take-offs and landings;
    2. Refresher training of at least one hour of total flight time with an instructor

    LAPL(H): on the specific helicopter:

    1. At least six hours of flight time as PIC, including 6 take-offs, approaches and landings;
    2. Refresher training of at least one hour total flight time with an instructor

    Where the recency requirements are no longer complied with, the privileges must be renewed in accordance with Part-FCL, which requires the holder to either:

    • Pass a proficiency check in the classes, groups or types of aircraft, as applicable;
    • Complete the remainder of the flights and take-offs and landings or launches that are specified for recency under the supervision of an instructor.


    LAPL(A): The privileges of the holder of a LAPL for aeroplanes are to act as PIC on single-engine piston aeroplanes-land or TMG with a maximum certificated take-off mass of 2000 kg or less, carrying a maximum of three passengers, such that there are never more than four persons on board of the aircraft. Holders of a LAPL(A) shall only carry passengers once they have completed ten hours of flight time as PIC on aeroplanes or TMG after the issuance of the licence.

    LAPL(H): The privileges of the holder of a LAPL for helicopters are to act as PIC on single-engine helicopters with a maximum certificated take-off mass of 2000 kg or less, carrying a maximum of three passengers such that there are never more than four persons on board.

  • Transfer of additional licences and ratings

    Ratings such as aerobatics, mountain and towing can also be converted to the EASA licence. If you wish to transfer additional ratings or any other national licence, refer to CAP 804 Part I Section 4 Part P for conversion requirements.

    To exercise the privileges of an aerobatics rating, sailplane and banner towing rating or mountain rating, the rating must be endorsed on the EASA licence when flying EASA certified aircraft after 8 April 2018.

    Please note that if you wish to convert additional ratings held on a national licence of another EASA member state, such as for aerobatics or towing, you will be required to apply by submitting application form SRG 2157. In addition to this form, the UK CAA requires confirmation from the member state where this privilege is held that you have met the requirements of their conversion report for the applied for rating, including what that state would issue, and any remarks.

    English Language Proficiency

    The requirement to hold language proficiency for use of FRTOL is stipulated by ICAO in Annex I to the International Convention on Civil Aviation. This sets out a requirement for all aeroplane and helicopter pilots, flight navigators and air traffic controllers to be proficient in their command of the languages that they use for radio communication.

    ICAO Annex I specifies the minimum standard for the holder of a licence to be Level 4, with licence holders assessed as Level 4 or 5 to be re-tested periodically. A person assessed as Level 6 need not be re-tested. As such, the UK CAA is bound to ensure that pilots operating the radio within an aircraft hold an ICAO English Language Proficiency.


    It remains a mandatory regulatory requirement that all licence holders convert their JAR licence to EASA by 8 April 2018. The current Brexit negotiations do not have any impact on this legal requirement.


    The cost of converting is currently:

    • £73 – private licences
    • £139 – professional licences
    • £41 - LAPL licences

    How to apply

    Before you start, bear in mind that you must have a current and valid EASA part-MED medical certificate of the appropriate level (with medical records held by the CAA); a current and valid language proficiency level acceptable to the CAA and potentially current and valid type or class ratings appropriate to the privileges of the licence you wish to convert to.

    Refer to CAP 1441 for further information regarding medical declaration.

    • Step 1: application form, using the online conversion form or application form SRG 1104.
    • Step 2: proof of identity, using a certified copy of one of: passport; EU photographic driving licence; EU identity card.
    • Step 3: copies of your current licence. We require a certified copy of the Certificate of Tests page or Certificate of Revalidation page of your current licence.
    • Step 4: proof of meeting requirements. We require a copy of your current medical certificate and proof of your language proficiency
    • Step 5: payment, made by BACS, cheque, cash or card. More detailed information can be downloaded.

    You can also convert as part of another application. When you apply for a licensing change such as the issue or renewal of a rating, you must apply to convert to an EASA licence at the same time by including the additional application form and conversion fee. Conversion may be compulsory depending on the type of licence and type of application.

    Compulsory conversion will occur with the following actions if you hold a JAR licence:

    • Renewing your licence or changing the details on your licence 
    • Applying for issue of an EASA rating 
    • Renewing or revalidating an EASA rating 
    • Applying for a new language proficiency level to be printed on your licence 

    Submit your application

    Please send your completed application form and supporting documentation to the following address:

    Shared Service Centre
    Licensing and Assessment
    Aviation House
    Gatwick Airport South
    West Sussex RH6 0YR

    Contact us

    Contact the licensing team at FCLWEB@caa.co.uk.