• This information is for pilots who hold a non-UK issued JAR or EASA medical certificate and/or licence and who wish to obtain a medical certificate which will allow the UK CAA to issue a UK EASA licence.  This means that the UK becomes the “State of Licence issue”.

    • Any JAR/EASA PPL or LAPL licence held in another state will also have to be transferred as part of any SOLI change relating to a higher licence issue in the UK.

    According to Part FCL.015, in order for the UK CAA’s Licensing Department to accept a change of State of Licence Issue (SOLI) to the UK, the applicants aeromedical records must be held in the UK.  This means the UK CAA will now accept a change of SOLI under Part FCL.015 if the applicants medical records are held in the UK; regardless of UK residence or UK employment.

    Please note: The UK CAA has been advised by the German Authority (LBA) that, due to German national law concerning Data Protection, the LBA are unable to facilitate the transfer of pilot medical records from Germany to other States.  It is therefore not possible to proceed with transfers of State of Licence Issue from Germany (LBA) to the UK (UK CAA), or indeed any other state, as the whole certificatory medical record of pilots must be held by the state to which a licence is transferred.  Please note that German pilots’ licences are fully valid in all EASA member states.


    You must obtain a UK EU Class 1/2 medical certificate before the CAA can issue a UK EU (EASA) ATPL/CPL, PPL or LAPL.  The procedure to gain a UK EU medical certificate depends on the type of medical certificate and/or licence you already hold and is shown in this application flowchart

    Please note that only one EU medical certificate may be held at any one time. 

    If you have a current non-UK class 1/2 medical certificate, we require confirmation from the Aeromedical Section (AMS) of the EASA member state that issued your initial medical certificate that you have no serious medical problems. 

    You can do this by downloading a  Change of State of Licence Issue (SOLI) form and sending it to the AMS who issued your initial medical certificate. They should complete the form ensuring it is signed and stamped by a Medical Assessor. The form should be sent to us (via you if necessary) and should also include the following:

    • Copy of earliest available medical application and examination report forms
    • All SOLI forms (and supporting documents) from previous transfers
    • Summary of medical history (see below) with supporting aeromedical assessments & clinical reports
    • Copy of latest electrocardiogram (class 1 only)
    • Copy of current medical certificate and supporting application and examination report forms. Please note: The only language accepted is English – forms and documents not in English will not be accepted (any translations required and costs incurred for translations are the responsibility of the applicant). 

    You will be required to pay an administration fee of £75, this can be paid by completing the payment form and sending it to us or you may telephone us to make a credit/debit card payment.