• A Certificate of Airworthiness is granted to National (Annex II) and EASA aircraft that meet the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) certification standards required.

    Aircraft that fall within the declared EASA types (See EASA Website), in accordance with Commission Regulation (EU) 748/2012 as amended, Article 2, may be considered eligible for an EASA Certificate of Airworthiness. 
    Aircraft defined in EC regulation 216/2008, Article 1 para 2 as State Aircraft (police, Search and Rescue) and in Annex II to that regulation are known collectively as non-EASA aircraft and are eligible for a National Certificate of Airworthiness.

    Certificate of Airworthiness (C of A) Issue refers to the validation of an aircraft’s first C of A.

    A C of A Subsequent Issue is applicable when:

    • The previous UK C of A has been revoked or surrendered
    • The aircraft held a UK C of A prior to export and has since returned to the UK Register
    • The aircraft was removed from, and has since been re-registered on, the UK Register.

    Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs)

    Some will require a C of A. Applications are dealt with by contacting UAVenquiries@caa.co.uk

    Hang Gliders, Foot-Launched Powered Hang Gliders, Paragliders and single seat microlights.

    Although it is mandatory to comply with the Rules of the Air, hang gliders, foot launched power gliders, paragliders and registered single seat microlights (SSDRs below 300kg) are not required to hold a C of A or Permit to Fly.

    Non-EASA Balloons 

    Privately operated non-EASA balloons are not eligible for a C of A under ANO Article 16.  Please contact apply@caa.co.uk if you require further guidance. 

    Who can apply

    • Registered Aircraft Owners
    • Aircraft Operators
    • Continuing Airworthiness Maintenance Organisations (CAMOs)
    • Maintenance Organisations 

    How to apply

    Additional resources