• Registered owners of aircraft must tell the CAA about any changes to their details.

    If you have changed address, please let us know immediately by letter, fax or e-mail, so that the Register can be updated. Please also tell us about any changes to other contact details such as email, telephone or fax numbers.

    We do not insist that you use your private residential address but do recommend that you use the most appropriate address for the distribution of safety related material.

    Tell us about a change of address

    We also require the original Certificate of Registration to be returned to this office for amendment to the new address.

    There is no charge for the re-issue of a Certificate of Registration for an address change.

    Replacement certificates

    If the original Certificate has been lost, destroyed, or is not available for any reason, please notify us using the Address Change Form and we will then issue a new Certificate.

    Aircraft in use outside of the UK

    Please let us know if the aircraft is being used abroad. The amended Certificate of Registration can then be issued prior to the return of the existing one.

  • It is the new owner's responsibility to re-register the aircraft under their own name within 28 days.

    To re-register the aircraft, you will need to complete form CA1 and provide proof that the aircraft is insured, just as with initial registration.

    If the aircraft is being purchased from someone other than the registered owner please ensure that you can identify a full chain of ownership from the last registered owner to the person purporting to be the owner of the aircraft.

    Any person intending to take ownership, or to become the charterer of, a UK-registered is advised to check the registered ownership of the aircraft and to conduct a search of the UK Register of Aircraft Mortgages before completion of the transaction.

    If you become a shareholder in a group-owned aircraft, you must ensure that the trustee of the group advices the CAA that you have joined. You do not need to notify the CAA directly of your shareholding.

    A group-owned aircraft is registered in the name of a trustee for a group.

    It is possible to check the ownership of an aircraft by searching the UK Register database, G-INFO, using the aircraft's registration mark.

    The registered owner should clearly state that the aircraft is registered to the trustee, in their capacity as 'Trustee of…'

    If the aircraft is the subject of an irrevocable de-registration and export request authorisation ("IDERA") this must be revoked before the aircraft can be re-registered.

  • Seller's responsibilities

  • The seller should complete the relevant section of the aircraft's Certificate of Registration, sign it, and return the Certificate to the CAA Aircraft Registration section.

    If the Certificate of Registration is not available, use a Sale Notification Form.

    Alternatively, a short letter or fax signed by the current registered owner(s) confirming the details of the transfer will be sufficient. 

    The completed certificate should be forwarded to the Aircraft Registration Section office rather than the purchaser in order to avoid delays in re-registration. 


    The registration marks of the aircraft can also be changed at the time of re-registration.

  • Same day service

    If you have a requirement to register the aircraft urgently a Same Day service is available upon payment of an additional fee.

    View same day services